Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Good morning!

Today has been interesting so far. I've been working with Boss A on an email and sort of packet of information and photographs to send to an architect/artist who Boss A is commissioning to draw a series of pictures explaining the repairs that went on at the H. House. A lot of the same sorts of repairs are going to happen at M. with any luck and people need to understand what can be done. Boss A says that people do what they know--whether that be installing steel beams, taking out original rafters and replacing them with new wood, or whatever--and a lot of original material is usually lost. What I am learning is that much of preservation is coming up with new solutions. I've never been engineering-minded so this is going to be a challenge for me, a new way of thinking. But since I'm coming into this with literally no preservation experience, hopefully I'll pick it up in the same way that a 4 year old can learn to speak Spanish easier than someone who has spoken English for 20 years.

Oh, and Happy Valentines Day.

Hopefully Boss B might want to go out for dinner or something tonight. I don't want to go grocery shopping and I don't want to eat more salad and leftover couscous from last night.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we should have gotten a hammer and some nails out and practiced before you went up there. Dad

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You certainly will be learning so many things. Each day seems to bring something new. Stay curious and have the time of your life!
MoT

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home