Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Barns.

Today I went around the county with my bosses to look at...you got it...barns! The state of Maryland has this new campaign to SAVE OUR OLD BARNS or something like that, and they're providing matching funds up to $10,000 for people to repair their barns. The catch (of course there's a catch!) is that the barn owner has to pay the whole cost up front, and if the state approves the work that was done, they'll match the funds.


This is the earliest barn we saw today--it was built in the late 1700s. I learned about wrought nails as opposed to square nails, wire nails, etc. When I first saw that barn, I thought, "What a disaster..why bother?" But the house on the property is from the early 1800s so it would be pretty neat to have a really old barn.

Here are some photos of some other stuff I saw today:


This one was really huge. Inside it was really nice. From the outside, the barns all looked sort of junky, very weathered, etc, but from the inside they were absolutely beautiful and very pristine.



This is a house that they've been working on for a while. It was built in the mid-1700s and I absolutely love it. It's way out in the country and she's got gardens and woods and it is absolutely the most beautiful setting. I told her I wanted to move in.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you find a bargain on an awesome barn, let me know. Mom has always wanted to live in one. Dad

5:22 PM  
Blogger Joel, Julia and Amelia Hanalei said...

Julia would love this house

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home