Saturday, March 25, 2006

Makeup Drama: Part II

Mom, if you think the funniest things happen to me, just read this.

Around 7:30 tonight Benefit Guy calls me to go out for dinner and next thing I know I'm driving his Mercedes to downtown Annapolis. It was like I didn't have a choice; my body was transported to the mall and I met him and next thing I know we're in the car and I'm in the driver's seat.

I should say a few words about the Mercedes. It was the first time I've ever ridden in a Mercedes, much less driven one, and it wasn't really anything to write home about, although that's what I'm doing, so apparently it is. The gas pedal was too hard to push, and the brake pedal was too easy to push, and I must have seemed like a very bad driver. And we were listening to rap so I couldn't tell if I was being honked at in real life or if it was just the weird background effects.

We walked around for a while, bewildered at the lameness/preppiness/yuppiness/ upper-middle-class boringness of Annapolis' nightlife, then decided on a place called aqua terra (yes, it's all lower case). We got a bottle of Pinot Noir (!), he had a salmon steak served with mashed potatoes and asparagus, and I wasn't hungry but got a crab bisque to be cooperative. I stole a peek at the bill (a major faux pas, I know, but I couldn't resist, and he didn't see) and it was $90.

Over dinner we talked about life in New York, abortion politics, God, and his family. His father passed away when he was 8 or so, and had 3 wives. He has like 8 half- and full brothers and sisters from all the wives. He said his father was Catholic, but the traditions of the culture made it so that he felt compelled to have more than one wife.

Dessert was creme brulee, my choice. I became slightly uncomfortable when I saw the heart-shaped mold it was served in, but it was delicious so I didn't really care. This is definitely a place that Mom, Dad, Sam, Rebecca, Gray, and any of my other friends would probably enjoy eating at and maybe we'll go there when you come visit me. Definitely a step up from the rest of the Annapolis eateries, which are mostly Irish pub/oyster bar places.

I may go to church with him in Baltimore tomorrow; I'm not sure. We'll see. If I do, I'm sure it will be an experience (the church's full name is Empowerment Temple African Methodist Episcopal Church or something like that--he's been once and said it was awesome but of course I'm a little nervous about it but I'm sure there's no reason to be) so you can expect to read about it sometime tomorrow afternoon. Then again I won't be surprised if I bail out and tell him I feel sick (not totally false, even though I'm predicting it, because my stomach hurt tonight) and do a Bible study on my own.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is all of this first draft writing?
Crown Victoria out Land Cruiser in.

12:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

¡Sus mejores amigos en el fallo de Lexington usted mucho!

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home