Sunday, March 19, 2006

My Most Interesting Sunday

After my fourteen hour night of sleep, I was ready for a big day. This meant going downtown via Annapolis Public Transit bus and eating at my favorite Mexican restaurant (so far I haven't been to many) in Annapolis. Then I went across the street to 49 West, a "coffee shop and wine bar," and the waitress I got is the same one I got last time, and she is JPNG (Just Plain Not Good). I only read about a third of the pages I could have read (in Centennial by James Michener) had I not had to stare her down repeatedly in order to get more coffee. If the waitresses don't want to give refills, maybe they should get bigger coffee cups, or else charge less. For $2, most people want more than 4 ounces of coffee.

Then I walked down to the cd store. For such a small store, it's pretty good. I got a couple used CDs--10% off!--and the new Neko Case. And THEN I went to the Hard Bean and Booksellers where I bought a copy of Chesapeake by James Michener--10% off!--and had my first experience with TBT (The Bathroom Token). As I paid for my book I had to ask for a bathroom token, which was smaller than a dime and made out of gold plastic I think, and after I paid for my book I realized that I had already lost the thing. I had to put it in the door for the door to open, and once I was inside I was faced with the really weird screwlike handle/lock mechanism which I couldn't figure out, and luckily the guy next to use the bathroom knocked first.

So THEN I walked around, tried on some multiple-hundred- dollar shirts which I could just not justify buying--there are starving kids in the world--how do people justify spending that much on a shirt? The Hammond Harwood House was nearly nextdoor so I stopped to snag a couple shots of what is purportedly the most famous doorway in America. Wandered down to the Naval Academy but was afraid I'd get sniped or something if I tried to go in, so I didn't.

(Here I'll omit the part about the high school girl in town for a swim meet asking me where the gift shops were and me leading her on foot all the way to some street that was most definitely not West Street, pointing her in that direction, and telling her it was West Street, after which she went in the opposite direction to find her grandmother to go back to "West Street" for some souvenirs. Haha/oops.)

Back at the bus stop, I sat next to a sixtysomething black man who told me he worked 7 days a week and worked really hard. He asked me if I worked, and after I told him I did, he laughed and asked if I worked in an office. Feeling like I should defend myself as a worker, I said "sometimes, sometimes not," and he assured me that he works harder than I do. Then Mom called and asked if I saw a lot of black people in Annapolis, and I muttered "Yes" and changed the subject. There are definitely a lot of black people here. They keep the city running so that all the rich white people can come spend three hundred dollars on a shirt on the weekends.

Annapolis is the least hip town I've ever been to. I've given up on trying to maintain any semblance of the hipster lifestyle I enjoyed in Lexington in this city full of chain everything and apparently no good local music scene to speak of, and when you go into a coffee shop you have to use a token for the bathroom, or if you go into another coffee shop the mean waitress ignores you.

I just don't know about stuff sometimes.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the things that pass for knowledge I don't understand"

Lyrics from "Reelin' in the Years"--Funny how I used to know the name of the band that sang that song, but that *&^%$%^*& CRS has struck again and it won't come to me!

Dad

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the waitress was probably ticked that you bought a $2 cup of coffee instead of a $6 glass of wine! Dad

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very jouralistic weblog enteries.
Articulate and informative.

W.H. Hashbrown

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home