Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter Sunday, and some scarier stuff.


I went to church today at St. Anne's Parish, where Francis Scott Key attended from 1789-1800. It was first built in 1704, and when the congregation got too big, a new building was started in 1775. But construction stopped completely when the Revolutionary War started and building materials were needed to build forts. The new church was finally built in 1792, but a fire destroyed that one, and the present structure was built in 1858. Compared to 1704, 1858 sounds modern, but by the standards I'm used to (Kentucky standards, that is), 1858 is ancient.

Anyway, I would have taken pictures of the church's gorgeous interior, but I was afraid that was a no-no, it being Easter and all.

After church, I went to 49 West and--as always--the mean waitress waited on me. I know I should know by now that if I sit where I like to sit, she'll wait on me, but I can't help it if she waits the best tables in the place. She was better today, anyway, and the coffee was really good, and I had about the best waffle I've ever had in my life with lots of fresh fruit and berries. I tipped her $5, which was a 50% tip, thinking how bad it would be if someone who clearly came in from church was a Scroogey tipper. But when I left, I decided I should have left her $10 since it's Easter and this is the day out of the year Christians should be most generous to others. But if I would have left her $10, I would have felt guilty about not giving her $20, so it's sort of like the "If you give a mouse a muffin, he'll want some jam to go with it" scenario, but not really. Then again, if I did leave her $10 or $20 in a joyous Christian spirit, it would still probably have an ulterior motive--I'd be thinking "If she remembers I tipped her so well, maybe she'll do a better job waiting on me next time," so it's probably better that I left her $5. I should have probably just left $1.50 and been done with it.

Next I went to the Annapolis National Cemetery and wandered among the headstones for an hour. I was the only person there
.
















To the right is another view of the headstone on the bottom left of the picture above.



















I wonder if the men and women buried there know when someone comes to visit. Just in case, I serenaded the spirits with a Neko Case song and told them Happy Easter, and that I would come back to visit.

I may be a bleeding heart liberal, but nothing makes my heart bleed more than the men and women who die in arms, and those who mourn them, such as Vera Brittain (1893-1970), one of my heroes. I could go on and on...and will on this subject soon enough...

...but I need to pack for Virginia tomorrow. Another week on-site. I've been shopping for the job, buying construction-site worthy tops to wear instead of my coffee-shop-working-for-tips shirts. Try as I might, I can't not wear makeup on site. I just can't do it. It's just not me! I shouldn't have to be ugly just because we're working in dirt and rubble...right?? As Boss A said when I told him of the situation, he said, "Just be yourself. Everyone loves you...Your problem isn't that people don't like you; it's that they like you too much." Whatever that means. I think it's a good thing. It's really weird to think of myself as being likeable, much less really likeable. I like being likeable, though. (Anyone reading this right now and actually understanding what I'm saying--you should probably get on Lexapro--or your choice of antidepressant--if you aren't already. It will make you feel happy, fun, and likeable. I sure didn't feel like this 3 years ago.)

That's it for now. I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore.

2 more things:

1) Buy the May/June issue of Adbusters magazine--it is a doozie. I know stuff about US overseas army police torturing prisoners to death isn't news to some people, but for many it is. Check these numbers out:

98 detainess are known to have died since Aug 2002 in the custody of US officials abroad; the US military classifies 34 of these deaths as suspected or confirmed homicides; at least 8 men were tortured to death; 5 months prison sentence is the harshest punishment to anyone involved in a torture-related death.

And our Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has given formal approval for various inhumane torture techniques such as hooding, exploitation of phobias, stress positions, and sensory deprivation. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has stated that the Geneva Convention has become obsolete. The article "Is Right-Wing America Becoming Fascist?" alone is worth the cover price. I know some of you will think, "Here goes Erin, giving in to liberal propaganda" but this is legitimate stuff. If you can't buy a copy at your neighborhood subversive literature bookstore, order one online. Or something. Or do some research yourself and find out what is going on not just in the world, but in our country.

2) Watch "The Constant Gardener." Do it!

1 Comments:

Blogger TOM said...

I also went to the cemetary yesterday. I didn't look at gravestones; there's a dogwood tree with a bench under it, in a little hollow place. I sat for a while and watched bees swarm, and I didn't worry about anything for a while.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home